What is JSP?
- Java Server Pages or as is normally called JSP is a Java based technology that simplifies the developing of dynamic web sites.
- It is a technology developed by Sun Microsystems, back in 1999.
- JSP pages are HTML pages with embedded code that allows to access data from Java code running on the server.
- JSP contains an extension of .jsp
- JSP provides separation of HTML presentation logic from the application logic.
Advantages of JSP
- JSP Provides an extensive infrastructure for:
- Tracking sessions.
- Managing cookies.
- Reading and sending HTML headers.
- Parsing and decoding HTML form data.
- JSP is Efficient: Every request for a JSP is handled by a simple Java thread
- JSP is Scalable: Easy integration with other backend services
- Seperation of roles
- Content Authors/Graphic Designers/Web Masters
|Technology||Advantage of JSP|
|ASP||JSP is written in Java hence easier to use compared to ASP which is written in Microsoft specific language.JSP can connect to anydatabase loading the appropriate driver when needed.|
|Servlets||The advantage of JSP programming over servlets is that we can build custom tags which can directly call Java beans.|
|HTML||HTML is client side and provides a means to describe the structure of text-based information in a document.It cannot contain dyamic content.|
Next Tutorial : Architecture of JSP