The Pro Java 7 NIO.2 book is all about the latest enhancements to the File NIO APIs added as part of Java 7.
The book covers
- New Path and Paths API: A brief overview of the Path and Paths classes and how these can be used to represent a file/directory. Also explained are the different parts of a Path.
- Obtaining the Metadata of a given file: This covers obtaining the metadata of the file like ownership, permissions, size, modification, creation time and how this information various between a Unix and Windows platforms.
- Managing Symbolic and Hard links for files: Creating Symbolic and Hard links to files and directories.
- New Files API with new utility methods to operate on files and directories: A new Files class is added which provides lot of utility methods to operate on the files and directories. This book covers few of those APIs by providing simple sample programs.
- Recursively visiting the directory using the FileVisitor API: This chapter shows how one can recursively visit different directories and also provides sample code for different scenarios where this API can be used.
- Watch Service API: This new API allows the developer to watch a given directory for various operations like modify, create and delete and lets developer write code to be notifies of such events.
- Random Access Files: This chapter covers the API support for random access of files.
- Socket APIs: This chapter covers various ways in which one can write Client-Server applications and provides code samples for both blocking and non blocking APIs.
- Asynchronous APIs: This chapters covers performing Asynchronous read and write operations on file and also Asynchronous socket programming.
Salient features of the book
- covers all of the NIO enhancements added as part of Java 7.
- provides complete code samples to help reader to try out the APIs.
- starts chapter with a brief overview of the APIs, but more importance is on the complete code examples.
- more of an hands on book and not suitable for reading without trying out the code.
This book is for people who are familiar with Java and have experience working or using File APIs. If you are familiar with the NIO APIs then that’s an added benefit. I would recommend this book if you want to explore the NIO2 enhancements added as part of Java 7. You need not read this book end-to-end in one sitting, one can always use this book as a reference and pick it up as and when you want to explore the API which it covers.
Buy this book
Pro Java 7 NIO.2 by Anghel Leonard
Pro Java 7 NIO.2 addresses the three primary elements that offer new input/output (I/O) APIs in Java 7, giving you the skills to write robust, scalable Java applications.