This page is regularly updated with latest information on OCAJP exam and provides comprehensive details about the Oracle Certified Associate Java Programmer Exam 1. If you are not finding the information which you are looking for or if you want to purchases certification exam kit, please feel free to send a mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is OCAJP Exam?
Oracle′s Java SE Programmer I (OCAJP) Exam to achieve Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE Programmer Certification. This is the entry level of Java Certification. For every new version of Java, this exam will be updated with the new changes in the Java technology. The latest version of this certification is Java SE 8 Programmer I (1Z0-808). This certification doesn’t require much experience for passing the exam. It only checks the basic knowledge on the Java programming who are inspiring to start their career in Java technology.
The following are the list of OCAJP exams conducted by Oracle. These exams are revised every time when there is a new version of Java is released in the market. Also any version which is more out dated to industry will be decommissioned and removed from the certification plans.
- Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer (1Z0-808)
- Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer (1Z0-803) (OCAJP 7 Exam Objectives / Syllabus)
- Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 5/SE 6 Programmer (1Z0-850)
What is New in OCAJP 8?
Most of the cases each revision of the certification would not bring the drastic changes to the certification topics list. The changes would be minimal and it will add up only the prominent features in the new version of the Java release. Similarly, OCAJP 8 is not much different from the OCAJP 7 exam, there are only few new topics introduced as part of this revision. Here is the new topics that is part of the OCAJP 8 exam.
OCAJP 8 vs OCAJP 7This table is the comparison between the exam topics for OCAJP 8 and OCAJP 7 exams. The center column is the objectives and both sides objective number in the exam topics. If there is N/A, then that topic is not in that particular version of the exam.
|OCA 8||Objectives||OCA 7|
|1.1||Define the scope of variables||1.1|
|1.2||Define the structure of a Java class||1.2|
|1.3||Create executable Java applications with a main method; run a Java program from the command line; including console output.||1.3 + New Topic|
|1.4||Import other Java packages to make them accessible in your code||1.4|
|1.5 (New)||Compare and contrast the features and components of Java such as: platform independence, object orientation, encapsulation, etc.||N/A|
|Working With Java Data Types|
|2.1||Declare and initialize variables (including casting of primitive data types)||2.1|
|2.2||Differentiate between object reference variables and primitive variables||2.2|
|2.3||Know how to read or write to object fields||2.3|
|2.4||Explain an Object's Lifecycle (creation, "dereference by reassignment" and garbage collection)||2.4|
|2.5 (New)||Use call methods on user-created wrapper class objects (grammatical error reported to Oracle - think this means primitive wrappers||N/A|
|Using Operators and Decision Constructs|
|3.1||Use Java operators; including parentheses to override operator precedence||3.1 & 3.2|
|3.2||Test equality between Strings and other objects using == and equals ()||3.3|
|3.3||Create if and if/else constructs and ternary constructs||3.4|
|3.4||Use a switch statement||3.5|
|Creating and Using Arrays|
|4.1||Declare, instantiate, initialize and use a one-dimensional array||4.1|
|4.2||Declare, instantiate, initialize and use multi-dimensional array||4.2|
|Using Loop Constructs|
|5.1||Create and use while loops||5.1|
|5.2||Create and use for loops including the enhanced for loop||5.2|
|5.3||Create and use do/while loops||5.3|
|5.4||Compare loop constructs||5.4|
|5.5||Use break and continue||5.5|
|Working with Methods and Encapsulation|
|6.1||Create methods with arguments and return values; including overloaded methods||6.1, 6.3|
|6.2||Apply the static keyword to methods and fields||6.2|
|6.3||Create and overload constructors; including impact on default constructors||6.4, 6.5|
|6.4||Apply access modifiers||6.6|
|6.5||Apply encapsulation principles to a class||6.7|
|6.6||Determine the effect upon object references and primitive values when they are passed into methods that change the values||6.8|
|Working with Inheritance|
|7.1||Describe the hierarchy of implementing inheritance||7.1|
|7.2||Develop code that demonstrates the use of polymorphism||5.2|
|7.3||Differentiate between the type of a reference and the type of an object; including overriding and object type versus reference type||7.2, 7.3|
|7.4||Determine when casting is necessary||7.4|
|7.5||Use super and this to access objects and constructors||7.5|
|7.6||Use abstract classes and interfaces||7.6|
|8.1||Differentiate among checked exceptions, RuntimeExceptions? and Errors||8.1|
|8.2||Create a try-catch block and determine how exceptions alter normal program flow||8.2|
|8.3||Describe the advantages of Exception handling||8.3|
|8.4||Invoke a method that throws an exception||8.4|
|8.5||Recognize common exception classes (such as NullPointerException, ArithmeticException?, ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException?, ClassCastException?)||8.5|
|Working with Selected Classes from the Java API|
|9.1||Manipulate data using the StringBuilder? class and its methods||2.6|
|9.2||Creating and manipulating Strings||2.7|
|9.3 (New)||Create and manipulate calendar data using classes from java.time.LocalDateTime?, java.time.LocalDate?, java.time.LocalTime?, java.time.format.DateTimeFormatter?, java.time.Period||N/A|
|9.4||Declare and use an ArrayList? of a given type||4.3|
|9.5 (New)||Write a simple Lambda expression that consumes a Lambda Predicate expression||N/A|
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How many OCAJP 7 exam questions?
There are total 70 questions will be asked in the OCAJP. It is the entry level example in the Java Certification path. The questions which are asked as part of this exam is fundamentals of Java and not much programming or real time experience is required to answer the questions. Many of the questions will be the programming examples.
Time duration for the OCAJP exam
120 minutes is the duration of this exam, so you need to attend all the 70 questions in this time limit to get good score in your certification exam.
What is the cost of the exam?
The cost would vary for each country and also the prometric centers would offer discount for special promotions. However, the actual cost of this certification exam mentioned in the oracle website is US$ 245. In India it would cost around Rs. 9000. Note that oracle is running a promotion of 20% discount for all the Java certification to celebrate it’s 15th year.
Passing score for the OCAJP exam
The passing score is 63%. To successfully finish OCAJP certification you need to get 63% of marks in 1Z0-803 Exam.
What is the difficulty level of this exam?
It is the first level of certification in the Oracle Java certification path. This exam checks the very basic knowledge on the Java programming which is required for the entry level programmers. Asking the questions related to the fundamentals like correct syntax, various keywords used in Java and its usage, etc. Look at the topics covered under this exam:
- Java Basics (Mock Exam Questions)
- Working With Java Data Types
- Using Operators and Decision Constructs
- Creating and Using Arrays
- Using Loop Constructs
- Working with Methods and Encapsulation
- Working with Inheritance
- Handling Exceptions
Where to find the test center details?
These exams are conducted by the certified prometric or test centers across the world. These centers are tied up with the Oracle for downloading the questions into their authorized test centers. You can find the details of the nearby centers here.
Can I write OCPJP Exam without writing OCAJP Exam?
One of the most frequently asked questions about certification is can I write OCPJP Exam without writing OCAJP Exam?. The answer to this question is depends on whether you have already written any exams or you are preparing for upgrade Exam. So, I have decided to provide more details about the different scenarios when you require OCAJP exam and when it is not required. If you are not convinced with this explanation, please drop a comment or send a mail to email@example.com.
- If you are appearing for the Java 7 Exam first time and have not completed any Java certifications, then writing OCAJP is compulsory and once you clear that exam you will be eligible to write OCPJP Exam.
- If you are planning to write upgrade exam, for example you have already written Java 5 or Java 6 exam, then you need not go through the OCA path. You can directly write the OCPJP Exam.
- If you are appearing for Java 6 or prior versions, then you need not take OCA exams. The prerequisite of OCA exam is applicable only from Java 7 on wards. Note that Java certifications are available only form Java 5 version (Earlier versions are decommissioned from the certification path)
- The exam code is different for upgrade exams.
Exam Details – OCAJP 8
- Exam Number : 1Z0-808
- Certification Name : Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 8 Programmer
- Duration : 150 minutes
- Number of Questions : 77
- Passing Score : 65%
- Format : Multiple Choice
- Price : It varies for each country and location. Please check with your nearest prometric centers.
Exam Details – OCAJP 7
- Exam Number : 1Z0-803
- Certification Name : Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer
- Duration : 120 minutes
- Number of Questions : 70
- Passing Score : 63%
- Format : Multiple Choice
- Exam Price : It varies for each country and location. Please check with your nearest prometric centers.
Free Mock Exams
- Java Basics
- OCAJP – Pass by Value or Pass by Reference
- OCAJP – Static Methods and Fields
OCAJP Preparation Guidance
People who have already prepared for SCJP exam can easily clear OCAJP Exam. This is not a complete replacement for SCJP exam. OCAJP Exam gives you knowledge on data types, strings, operators, exception and Java basics.
- OCAJP is the first level of Java Certifications. It will just test your Java programming knowledge and not necessary to have extensive work experience for this exam.
- Buy a good book from the market. It is very important to read each and every line of the book to understand all the concepts. Don’t just think about passing the exam, try to understand the concepts and answer the questions. That only will help you when you join a company as Java programmer.
- OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide (by Mala Gupta)
- OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide (by Kathy Sierra & Bert Bates)
- Practice. Practice.Practice. – Yes. That is the only way you would learn anything that will last for the rest of your life. Practice helps you to understand the concepts in-depth and avoid any confusion on the topics.
- Get some free mock exams in the internet and try to answer the questions.
- Buy any of the good mock exam simulator and test your knowledge. Note that this step has to be done only when you are ready for the exam. This should be the final step before the real exam.
- Last but not least, have confidence and faith on you, that will help you lot for the success!!
Recommended Books for OCAJP
Book Title: OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1Z0-803 Exam
Author: Mala Gupta
Recommendation: It is one of the best books for learning OCAJP 7 concepts. Manning books are easy to understand and covers all the important topics covered in the exam. Also the mock exams available for practice would be very helpful.